Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Cartoon Vitamins

Below is Cartoon Vitamins. I prepared this poem after my doctor told me I needed some annual exams now that I'm... well, let's just say a little older. My doctor, whom I'm certain is younger than me, also recommended that I take a vitamin daily. I began to remember those various vitamins that I had taken as a child with all sorts of cartoon characters and dinosaurs on them. It actually started a flood of good memories going back to childhood and progressing through the years. This is a first draft that I wrote, made a few changes on and submitted here. I'd appreciate your review, input, and/or comments, but more importantly I am thankful and humbled that you have taken the time to read it in this crazy world we all live in. Thank you.



Cartoon Vitamins


One year, two year, three year
they pass so quickly,
it seemed I was a child,
teenager,
young adult,
man,
all before I knew what happened.

I wanted to be adult
and now I reach for childhood
Elementary, Junior High, High School and
College
a twenty-year reunion
a glance at the past that’s gone.

Nothing changes, everything changes
my hair changing now
my body changing too
vitamins the doctors recommend now with test
Invasive, odd, strange and reserved test for other, older people.

I am those older people now
it has all changed
but I still remember cartoon vitamins
they tasted grape.


© Clint Thomas, 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment